Monday, December 14, 2009

Trusting the breeders

One day, I thought up an idea for a dog club based on an event. It wouldn't have been hard to get people to show up for the event with their dogs, and pay to enter, but a club needs at least 3 people as officers, who are trustworthy.

I couldn't think of 3 people who I felt were unbiased, honest, and who were into dogs enough to want to join.

Deciding that one has to go with the best they have, not what they want, I approached 2 people who I thought might be alright.

But, they thought the club would need even more officers and, they too, couldn't think of enough people who could be relied upon to not favor dogs from their own kennel, or people they liked.

And both of them later turned out to be untrustworthy themselves.

Dog shows are a competition, but not like racing where the winner is clear to all before the judges says anything.

I think of judging dog shows, like judging art paintings. Different people have different favorites, so even if everything is honest, it still isn't the same as contests where every knows the score and who is winning.

In a dog show on TV, do you know which dog will win, before the judge picks one?