Monday, December 14, 2009

Genius Quiz for dog people.

I have watched veterinarians do tail docking and ear cropping (although I am against both).

Ear cropping is clearly the worst.

I once heard: "All anesthesia is a poison strong enough to knock a dog out. In higher dosages, it can kill. Somewhere between is the balance needed. Use as much as you have to, but not a drop more, because it is a poison, and can permanently damage the internal organs."

1. Tails are done on very young puppies without anesthesia.
Ears are done on puppies old enough that they need anesthesia, but too young to have a fully developed liver. Very very bad.

2. Ears often involve getting it "just so", therefor, a longer time under anesthesia.

3. Ears are taped and re-taped for weeks so that the ear heals and grows standing up, not flopping down.

Dogs clearly are bothered by the itch, and have to be prevented from removing the tape.

Some people leave an Elizabethan Collar (big plastic cone) around the puppy's head all day, to keep the puppy from scratching, other people train the dog not to scratch by punishing him for it.

I've seen a puppy with the big plastic cone on his head who could not eat or drink, until the owner removed it when they got home. At least the tail is over and done with quicker.

But I read a site where someone made the opposite case - that tail docking was worse than ear cropping. An odd statement. I had never heard anyone who knew about both to say that.

Why would she say that? I don't know. Then someone said that I should be able to figure out her breed just by knowing that she is more against tails being cut off than ears being cut off.

What? I already know her breed. But I understand the logic of the statement, but I think a person would have too be a genius to guess this one.

Have a go at it!

Guess which breed is hers, knowing only that she is more against tail docking than ear cropping.

But to be fair, I offer these tips:

1. Her breed is recognized by both the UK's kennel club, and America's largest multi-breed club.

2. It is NOT a new breed. It is NOT a rare breed.

3. Her dogs are shown without either their ears or tails cut off.

4. Assume a strong breed bias, to figure it out.

5. Assume that she believes that another breed is frequently shown docked, instead of naturally short tailed.

6. In America, I believe that her dogs only compete against other dogs with natural tails and ears, like her dogs - at least in regular classes.