Saturday, December 12, 2009

Barf Dog Food

Can you think of a less appealing name for a dog food diet than "barf"?

When I first heard about the "barf diet" for dogs, I thought it was a joke.

It sounds like anorexic girls puking up their food to try to look like a bean pole.

Actually, puppies like to eat puke, it is what wolves feed their young cubs.

But the image of feeding your kids good food and them having them puke it up for the dog - it's just gross.

I'm not sure if wolves have some way of not puking up digestive juices too. That would not be good for the puppy's mouths. Would they have to really wolf the chunks down quickly to not mess up more delicate tissues?

But that is not what the barf diet is about - read below, several posts earlier, where I explain my reasons why, even though the barf diet MIGHT be good for your particular dog -

I wouldn't buy a puppy from from a breeder whose dogs needed a special diet -

And I don't think that breeding dogs with deficient digestive systems is a good idea.